Nebraska Historical Marker: 1909 Brick Barracks

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: 1909 Brick Barracks

276

Location

Fort Robinson State Park, Dawes County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 42.667389, -103.466383

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

Of the fifteen enlisted men's barracks of log, adobe, or fired brick, only this structure remains at Fort Robinson. It housed men of the 8th and 12th Cavalry and the Quartermaster Remount Service. A similar structure near the brick officers' homes at the west end of the parade ground was torn down after Fort Robinson was abandoned. In 1956 the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission adapted the building to lodging for visitors and provided for its preservation.

Further Information

Bibliography

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.