Nebraska Historical Marker: 1887 Barracks Row

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: 1887 Barracks Row

1887_Barracks_Row.jpg

Location

Fort Robinson State Park, Crawford, Dawes County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 42.6681, -103.4680

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

During the 1887 expansion of Fort Robinson 6 adobe barracks were built on the south side of the parade ground. Later 2 frame barracks were added. Each building had a dormitory area 170 by 30 feet, a kitchen wing 70 by 30 feet, and housed a single troop, usually 50 to 75 soldiers. Cavalry troops occupied this row until 1916. New brick construction in the twentieth century replaced 3 barracks. The 5 remaining barracks were demolished in 1923.

Further Information

Bibliography

Thomas R Buecker, “The 1887 Expansion of Fort Robinson,” Nebraska History 68 (1988): 83-93

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.