NRHP: St. Charles Apartments
St. Charles Apartments
NRHP Reference #: 85002138
NRHP Listing Date: 19850912
4717 Baldwin Ave, Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska
View this property's location
View all NRHP properties on this map.
When St. Charles Apartments were built in 1923-24, University Place, Nebraska, was an incorporated town with a population of about 5,000. Universitv Place was annexed by Lincoln in 1926. St. Charles was designed to accommodate sixteen dwelling units and was the first brick apartment house built in University Place and the only one erected before annexation. The building, which incorporates Neo-Classical Revival motifs, was constructed by William Henry Seng, a major contractor in the University Place area during the 1920s and 1930s.
About the National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the country’s official list of historically significant properties. To be eligible for the NRHP a property must generally retain their historic appearance, be at least 50 years old, and have the potential to be documented as historically or architecturally significant at either the local, state, or national level. The National Register of Historic Places is a National Park Service program administered by the Nebraska State Historical Society for the state of Nebraska. Visit the Nebraska State Historical Society's website to learn more about the program.