NRHP: Fremont Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad Depot
Fremont Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad Depot
NRHP Reference #: 79003682
NRHP Listing Date: 19791011
1st & Maple, Dwight, Butler County, Nebraska
View this property's location
View all NRHP properties on this map.
The Dwight Depot is a typical example of a small town railroad station, of the architectural style used by the Fremont, Elkhorn, and Missouri Valley Railroad, a former Chicago and Northwestern subsidiary. Using a standard set of blueprints, the railroad constructed nearly identical depots in each town, making only minor structural changes from one to another. Construction of these simple frame buildings was a cost-saving factor for the railroad. The Dwight Depot was built in 1887 and served the town until 1962.
About the National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the country’s official list of historically significant properties. To be eligible for the NRHP a property must generally retain their historic appearance, be at least 50 years old, and have the potential to be documented as historically or architecturally significant at either the local, state, or national level. The National Register of Historic Places is a National Park Service program administered by the Nebraska State Historical Society for the state of Nebraska. Visit the Nebraska State Historical Society's website to learn more about the program.