NRHP: Cedar County Courthouse
Cedar County Courthouse
NRHP Reference #: 89002214
NRHP Listing Date: 19900110
Broadway Ave bet Centre & Franklin, Hartington, Cedar County, Nebraska
View this property's location
View all NRHP properties on this map.
Cedar County, organized in 1857, was one of the earliest counties in the Nebraska Territory. That same year St. James was named county seat. As the population increased, residents voted to move the county seat to St. Helena. The town of Hartington was established in 1883 as a stop on the railroad. With its central location and rail connections (beginning in 1884), Hartington soon gained the county seat designation in 1885. In 1891 voters passed a bond issue to underwrite the construction of a new courthouse. Construction began that same year and the building was completed in 1892. Built in the Romanesque Revival style, the courthouse retains a fair degree of integrity with evolutionary changes evident on the interior and exterior.
About the National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the country’s official list of historically significant properties. To be eligible for the NRHP a property must generally retain their historic appearance, be at least 50 years old, and have the potential to be documented as historically or architecturally significant at either the local, state, or national level. The National Register of Historic Places is a National Park Service program administered by the Nebraska State Historical Society for the state of Nebraska. Visit the Nebraska State Historical Society's website to learn more about the program.