NRHP: Blackstone Hotel
NRHP Reference #: 85000067
NRHP Listing Date: 19850111
302 S 36th, Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska
View this property's location
View all NRHP properties on this map.
The Blackstone Hotel, Omaha's most prestigious hotel following its construction in 1916, was built by the Bankers Realty Investment Company. Charles Schimmel purchased the building in 1920 and made the Blackstone a "symbol of elegance" for Omahans for half a century. Under Schimmel, the hotel published its own magazine, The Black Stonian, and maintained its own Pierce Arrow limousine which met visiting dignitaries arriving by train. The pastry shop and various dining rooms, especially the Orleans Room, were famous for fine food. The hotel represents a fine example of the Second Renaissance Revival style.
About the National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the country’s official list of historically significant properties. To be eligible for the NRHP a property must generally retain their historic appearance, be at least 50 years old, and have the potential to be documented as historically or architecturally significant at either the local, state, or national level. The National Register of Historic Places is a National Park Service program administered by the Nebraska State Historical Society for the state of Nebraska. Visit the Nebraska State Historical Society's website to learn more about the program.