NRHP: Beatrice Chautauqua Pavilion and Gate House
[[Image: |thumb|right|upright=1.0|alt= |Beatrice Chautauqua Pavilion & Gate House]]
Beatrice Chautauqua Pavilion & Gate House
NRHP Reference #: 79001445
NRHP Listing Date: 19790409
6th & Grable Sts, Beatrice, Gage County, Nebraska
View this property's location
View all NRHP properties on this map.
The pavilion is located on the grounds of the Chautauqua Park in Beatrice. The Chautauqua, which operated annual summer assemblies during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, enlightened countless rural and small town residents of Nebraska. The Chautauqua sessions featured performances, discussions, lectures, and oratory, as well as lessons in fine art and domestic science. The 1889 pavilion is an impressive rectangular structure, and it is an engineering and architectural achievement of merit. The pavilion was originally open on all sides, but about 1915 the gabled section of the roof was extended on the east, and frame walls were built to serve as the extension's support.
About the National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the country’s official list of historically significant properties. To be eligible for the NRHP a property must generally retain their historic appearance, be at least 50 years old, and have the potential to be documented as historically or architecturally significant at either the local, state, or national level. The National Register of Historic Places is a National Park Service program administered by the Nebraska State Historical Society for the state of Nebraska. Visit the Nebraska State Historical Society's website to learn more about the program.