Josiah Dow Sandham (1880-1969), Architect
DBA: J. Dow Sandham
Josiah Dow Sandham was born in Davenport, Iowa on November 11, 1880. From 1901-1902, Sandham studied architecture at Rose Polytechnical Institute in Terre Haute, Indiana. In 1902, Sandham worked for F.E. Wethrell is Oskaloosa, Iowa, and continued to work in various architecture firms until 1928, when he became a partner in the firm, Kimball, Steele & Sandham, in Omaha. Sandham’s firm eventually evolved into Steele, Sandham & Steele in 1949.
In his personal life, Sandham became married in 1911 and had two children, both sons. He won the Award of Merit from the AIA in 1954, and the St. Vincent’s Home in Omaha was voted Hospital of the Month by Modern Hospital in the same year. Sandham was also a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Omaha, Sigma Nu, the National Geographic Society, and the YMCA. Sandham died on December 8, 1969 in Pepper Pike, Ohio.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Omaha, Nebraska, 1938-1939, 1940-1949, 1950-1959, 1960
Educational & Professional Associations
1888-1891: Grammar School, Winterset, Iowa.
1891-1897: Grammar School and High School, Harlan, Iowa.
1900-1902: Rose Polytechnic Institute, Terre Haute, Indiana.
1902-1903: draftsman, Frank I Wetherell, Architect, Oskaloosa, Iowa.
1903-1905: draftsman, Specification writer, Superintendent, Oliver Smith, Architect, soon succeeded by Smith and Wetherell, Des Moines, Iowa.
1929: Registered Professional Architect, South Dakota, January 26, 1929, Certificate Number 2042.
1938: Registered Professional Architect, Nebraska, January 18, 1938, A-10.
1957-1959: vice president/treasurer and partner, Steele, Sandham & Weinstein Co., Omaha, Nebraska.
No 1960 directory.
1961-1962: architect and partner, Steele, Sandham & Weinstein Co., Omaha, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
Federal Office Building (1932), Architect Associate George B. Prinz, Omaha, Nebraska.
Northwestern Bell Telephone Building (1941), Grand Island, Nebraska.
Ward Building (1948), State Hospital, Hastings, Nebraska.
Beth Israel Synagogue (1951-1952), Omaha, Nebraska.
Agronomy Building (1952), University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Cudahy Packing Company Office Building (1952), Omaha, Nebraska.
St. Vincent’s Home (Hospital) (1953), Omaha, Nebraska.
Temple Israel (1953-1954), Omaha, Nebraska.
Northwestern Bell Telephone Building (1954), Rapid City, South Dakota.
Honors & Awards
1954: Award of Merit.
1954: Hospital of the Month, Modern Hospital, St. Vincent’s Home.
1. AIA Historical Directory of American Architects: A Resource Guide to Finding Information About Past Architects, accessed July 20, 2010, http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/ahd1039084.aspx
2. American Institute of Architects, comp., American Architects Directory First Ed. (New York: R. R. Bowker Co., 1956), 482, accessed March 3, 2010, http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/1956%20American%20Architects%20Directory.aspx
3. Application for Registration to Practice Professional Engineering and Architecture, Nebraska State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Architects, November 26, 1937 Nebraska State Historical Society RG081 SG2.
4. “Sandham,” Omaha World-Herald (December 10, 1969), 82:2.
D. Murphy, “Josiah Dow Sandham (1880-1969), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, March 11, 2015. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, August 20, 2019.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.