Jonas Drury (1827-ca. 1912), Architect & Builder
Jonas Drury was born in July 1827, in Butterwick, Lincolnshire, England. He had moved to Nebraska by 1860 and practiced carpentry there for at least forty years. Drury's wife was named Eliza and they had two sons, William and John. Drury died in approximately 1912.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Educational & Professional Associations
1860: master carpenter, Brownville, Nebraska Territory.
1885: carpenter, Brownville, Nebraska.
1900: carpenter, Brownville, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
a. In the 1870 census, Drury’s first name is written as “Janes,” but he is with family members Eliza, Matt, and John, as well as a 4-year-old son named Jonas H. The difference in first names was likely a clerical error.
1. W. D. Blackburn, Nemaha Land District, Southern Nebraska: Resources and Capabilities (Omaha: Omaha Republican Steam Printing House, 1870-1872).
2. 1860 United States Census, s.v. “Jonas Drury,” Brownville, Nemaha County, Nebraska, accessed through HeritageQuestOnline.com.
3. 1900 United States Census, s.v. “Jonas Drury,” Brownville, Nemaha County, Nebraska, accessed through AncestryLibrary.com.
4. 1870 United States Census, s.v. “Janes Drury,” Brownville, Nemaha County, Nebraska, accessed through AncestryLibrary.com.
5. Harvey B. Black, “Jonas Drury,” Early Members of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Provo, Utah: Infobases, 1996), accessed through AncestryLibrary.com.
6. 1885 Nebraska State Census, s.v. “Jones Drury,” Brownville, Nemaha County, Nebraska, accessed through AncestryLibrary.com.
D. Murphy, “Jonas Drury (1827-ca. 1912), Architect & Builder,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, December 4, 2014. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, December 7, 2019.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.