John Alden Shaver (1918-2010), Architect
DBA: Shaver & Shaver; Shaver & Company; The Shaver Partnership
John Alden Shaver was born March 4, 1918 in Salina, Kansas. He graduated with honors with a degree in architecture from Kansas State University in 1941, then did post-graduate work at Stanford, where he did leading edge educational design research. After serving as a Captain in the U. S. Army during the war, he joined his father, Charles W. Shaver, in his Salina architectural practice in 1945. The partnership came to be known as Shaver and Shaver. After his father’s death in 1961, the firm was renamed Shaver & Company, and again ca. 1973, The Shaver Partnership. He built one of the largest educational design firms in the country, and is credited with over 300 school commissions. Shaver was married 53 years to Patricia; they had three sons and a daughter. He died November 21, 2010, in Salina.
Educational & Professional Associations
1941: B.S. degree in architecture, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas.
1941-1946: Captain, U. S. Army.
1961-ca. 1973: architect and owner, Shaver & Company, Architects, Salina, Kansas.
ca. 1973-2008: architect and owner, The Shaver Partnership, Salina, Kansas.
Nebraska Buildings & Projects
Mount Olive Evangelical Lutheran Church (1948-1950), 7301 N. 28th Street, Omaha, Nebraska.
Sutton Federated Church (1964-1966), 407 N. Saunders Ave, Sutton, Nebraska.
Honors & Awards
Salina Chamber of Commerce Business Hall of Fame.
a. Continuing summer courses in school planning, Stanford University, 1954-1965.
c. The license expired on December 31, 2008.
d. Shaver & Company, Architects. City of Lincoln Building Permit #86830, June 16, 1964, $478,216. Kingery Construction Company, Contractors.
e. Kansas AIA Design Award, 1965.
1. “John A. Shaver, March 4, 1918 – November 21, 2010,” Accessed May 7, 2016. http://www.ryanmortuary.com/obits/2010/sha01121.html
2. “Renowned Architect Remembered,” Salina Journal (November 24, 2010). Salina.com. Accessed May 8, 2012. http://www.saljournal.com/news/story/shaver-11-23-10
3. Professional License Results for John A Shaver, State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects website. Accessed May 8, 2012. http://www.ea.nebraska.gov/search/search.php?page=details&lic=A449
4. “John Alden Shaver (Architect),” (PCAD id: 5648) Pacific Coast Architecture Database (Alan Michelson, 2005-2015). Accessed May 7, 2016. http://pcad.lib.washington.edu/person/5648/
5. The AIA Historical Directory of American Architects, s.v. “Shaver, John Alden,” (ahd1040573). Accessed May 7, 2016. http://public.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki
6. City of Lincoln Building Permit #86830.
Return to Top of Page
D. Murphy, “John Alden Shaver (1918-2010), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, May 7, 2016. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, December 11, 2023.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.