James Tyler & Son, Architects
DBA: Tyler & Son or J. Tyler & Son
James Tyler, Lincoln, Nebraska
James Tyler, Jr., Lincoln, Nebraska
James Tyler, Jr. (1869-1961) was a draftsman in his father James Tyler's (1844-1919) architectural office from 1886 through 1892, then was elevated to a partner in 1893, with the firm referred to as Tyler & Son or J. Tyler & Son. They maintained the partnership for over a dozen years with commissions in many Nebraska communities. James Tyler Sr.'s emphasis began to shift as he assumed the responsibilities of Lincoln's Water Commissioner, a post to which he was first elected in 1898, although he also continued to be listed in city directories as an architect practicing as J. Tyler & Son through 1907.[f]
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Lincoln, Nebraska, 1894-1895, 1899-1907
Educational & Professional Associations
1880-1883: Smith & Tyler, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1883-1893: James Tyler (1844-1919), Architect, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1907-1914; 1925: Tyler & Brandt, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1916-1924: Tyler, Brandt & Tyler, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
Three-story double business house of James Kelly for Browning, King & Co. clothing store (1893), O near 10th, Lincoln, Nebraska.
St. John Nepomucene (Czech) Catholic Church (1893), 2nd & E (moved to NE corner 6th & F in 1902), Lincoln, Nebraska. (LC13:C07-912)
George W. Lowrey residence (1894), Lincoln, Nebraska.
T. L. Buel residence (1894), Lincoln, Nebraska.
Frank Rademacher House (1894), 1424 Grove St., Crete, Nebraska. (SAO1-3)
Frank J. Rademacher house (1894), Crete, Nebraska (SA01-003)
Brick vault and shelving for State Library (1895), State Capitol Building, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Alterations and addition to Herpolsheimer & Co.'s store (1895), SW corner of 12th & N, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Bank building for Union Savings Bank (1896), Lincoln, Nebraska.
Brick building for Isaac Cahn (1896), 12th & N, east side, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Five-story addition to A. M. Davis building (1897), O Street, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Plans for remodeling Capital Hotel (1899), SW corner of 11th & P, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Steam heating plant for two school buildings (1899), Pawnee City, Nebraska.
Opera house and store for H. C. Stoke (1899), Harvard, Nebraska.
Warehouse for Nichols & Shepard Company (1900), Lincoln, Nebraska.
(Fire) Engine House (1900), City of Havelock (now Lincoln), Nebraska.
Three story brick lodge and office building for Loyal Mystic Legion of America (1900), Hastings, Nebraska.
Remodeling Webster Block for Masonic Temple (1900), 242 South 11th, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Dr. George O. W. Farnham house (ca. 1900-1901), double house at 1747 N (and 209 S. 18th) Street, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Addition to Saint Elizabeth Hospital (1901), 11th & South Streets, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Lincoln Safe Deposit Vault (1901), 126 North 11th, Lincoln, Nebraska.83]
L. D. Munson residence (1901), E between 18th & 19th, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Roscoe Pound house (1901), 1969 A, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Mrs. A. M. Putnam double house (1901), 11th & K, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Two houses for Joseph Wittmann (1901), 10th & F, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Charles S. Allen house (1901), 21st & Washington, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Paul Clark house (1901), 20th & A, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Two new houses and one remodeled for Mrs. I. M. Bumstead (1901), 17th & Washington, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Paul H. Holm house/"Roggen residence completely rebuilt" (1901), 17th & C, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Lincoln Ice Company (1901), 728 L Street, Lincoln, Nebraska.
M. F. Meed house (1901), 19th & H, Lincoln Nebraska.
Armstrong store (c. 1901), Lincoln, Nebraska.
C. D. Mullen house (ca. 1901), 1809 N, Lincoln, Nebraska.
A. G. Evans house, (ca. 1901-1902), SE corner of 25th & S, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Burr Block remodel of interior and storefront (1902), NE corner 12th & O, Lincoln, Nebraska. (LC13:C09-002)
John A. Hornberger house (1902), 1825 A, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Dr. John S. Leonhardt house remodel (1902), 1726 N, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Plans for Frank Harpham house remodel (1902), 18th & F, Lincoln, Nebraska.
A. Davis house (1902), Seward, Nebraska.
V. O. English house (1902), Grand Island, Nebraska.
S. S. Stewart house (1902), Tecumseh, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Fred Schmidt house (1902), 12th & R, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Addition to Hickman School (1903), Hickman, Nebraska.
Sheds for Hastings Insane Asylum (1903), Hastings, Nebraska.
Geo. W. Shreck house (ca. 1903), York, Nebraska.
Kearney Carnegie Library (1903), Kearney, Nebraska.
Soldiers and Sailors Hospital & Boiler house (1903), Milford, Nebraska.
Plans for the State Capitol grounds (1903), Lincoln, Nebraska.
Frank Duteil house (1903), 1637 P, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Lincoln Telephone Company Building (1903-1904), 221 S. 14th, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Mrs. M. Melick Flats (1903-1904), SW corner of 13th & K St., Lincoln, Nebraska.
Remodeling Putnam block and building a new block adjacent to the south for Rudge & Guenzel department store (1903), SW corner 11th & O, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Seward High School (1903), Seward, Nebraska.
Dr. Boyden (or Boynton) house (1903), Grand Island, Nebraska.
Hindley Cottage (1903-1904), Weeping Water Academy, Weeping Water, Nebraska. (CC19-068)
Plans for Administration building and three Cottages at State insane asylum (1903-1904), Norfolk, Nebraska.
Preliminary plans for G. A. R. memorial armories (1904), "in the larger towns of the state," Nebraska.
Proposal for a livestock pavilion (1905), State Fairgrounds, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Elks Clubhouse (1905), NW corner of 13th & P, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Residence for Dr. W. E. Anderson (1905), Plainsville, Kansas.
R. G. Graham Flats (1905), 14th & L, Lincoln, Nebraska.
S. A. D. Shilling Flats (1905-1906), 1337 K, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Havelock Carnegie Library (1906), Havelock (now Lincoln), Nebraska.
Brick building for Walla Walla Lodge No. 56 of I. O. O. F (1906), North Platte, Nebraska.
Odd Fellows building (1907), Kearney, Nebraska.[95
A.O.U.W. Hall (n.d.), Belleville, Kansas.
Mrs. Fitzgerald house (n.d.), Lincoln, Nebraska.
Music Hall (n.d.), Hastings, Nebraska.
R. S. Norval house (n.d.), Seward, Nebraska.
Ten-cents Store (n.d.), Lincoln, Nebraska.
C. Rodgers house (n.d.), Seward, Nebraska.
b. The senior James Tyler had drawn plans for a large assembly building for Lincoln in 1890; the Haymarket square project of 1894 may have been an outgrowth of that. In 1899, the auditorium's proposed location shifted the 13th & M Streets and Tyler again offered sketches. Ultimately the design of Paul O. Moratz was selected, who had designed a similar coliseum in Bloomington, Indiana, but Tyler was chosen to superintend the construction.
c. A brief note in Nebraska State Journal of November 24, 1894, reported: "Judge Wurzburg was engaged yesterday with the case of James Tyler against Harry T. Jones for $410. The plaintiff claims that he drew up some plans for a house and the defendant refused to pay him for them."
d. James Tyler of Lincoln and Richard Grant of Beatrice "submitted plans, informally" to the Lincoln school board for a new building on the high school grounds in January of 1897. In April, seven architects submitted plans in response to advertisements by the board. They included from Lincoln N. Bishop, J. H. Craddock, M. Leach, J. Tyler, and George Shaffer; and R. W. Grant from Beatrice and F. M. Ellis from Omaha. Tyler was chosen on April 22, 1897 and the building as "nearly ready for occupany" in December 1897. An accounting of the cost of the completed building in January of 1898 totaled $23,785.06 (without furnishings), of which $461 was the fee of J Tyler & Son.
e. A massive fire destroyed several buildings on the NE corner of 11th and O Streets in April 1898 including the corner Richards Block and adjoining A. M. Davis building. James Tyler was consulted by the City in the safe handling of the high walls of the Richards Block ruins. In August 1898, plans were announced for rebuilding the A. M. Davis building, mentioning "Architect Tyler and son are now at work on the plans for the builders." By October, the owners were advertising for proposals for the "new" Richards Block on the corner, "according to plans and specifications furnished by James Tyler & Son, architects." The project concluded in 1902 with a suit by the architects against the owners regarding their fee.
f. When James Tyler was nominated for Lincoln Water Commissioner in March 1898, there reportedly were rumors that James Jr. was the candidate--"a mere youngster and therefore not qualified for the position." Nebraska State Journal opined on March 11, 1898 "If the candidate were James Tyler, jr., his selection would be creditable, but the real candidate is James Tyler, sr., member of the firm of James Tyler & Son, architects. If the senior Tyler is nominated and elected he promises to devote his entire time to the office of water commissioner." After his first two year term, the Nebraska State Journal gave his performance in office a resounding endorsement in 1900.
g. The Fitzgerald Block at 7th & P Street burned in the spring of 1898. Wholesale grocer H. P. Lau & Company and the recently formed Beatrice Creamery Company were displaced by that fire. Beatrice Creamery rebuilt on the site a two story structure for their sole use, beginning in November of 1898. In 1904, the creamery was doubled in size to four stories.
h. A half dozen firms submitted designs for Lincoln's downtown library, after the previous location in rented rooms in the Masonic Temple at 11th & M burned in 1899. R. W. Grant of Beatrice assisted the Library Board in making the selection of Fisher & Lawrie of Omaha from among three Lincoln firms--Roberts & Woods, Leach & Plym, and James Tyler & Son--and the Providence, Rhodes Island firm of Stone, Carpenter & Wilson and the Milwaukee partnership Ferry & Clas.
i. Sunday State Journal on July 21, 1901 listed nearly two dozens buildings designed by Tyler & Son: "Rudge & Guenzel, Harpham Bros' warehouses, Lincoln Ice company, Armstrong store, Lincoln Safe Deposit and Trust company, Richards block, Lincoln Paint and Color company, Central Granaries company, Masonic temple, St. Elizabeth hospital, L. D. Munson's residence, Paul Clark, Charles Allen, I. G. Chapin, Roscoe Pound, M. R. Meed, Paul H. Holm, Mrs. A. M. Putman, Mrs. J. R. Webster, Mrs. I. M. Bumstead, Joseph Whitmann, Mrs. C. Pitcher, flats."
j. Among the many Tyler & Son projects listed in Sunday State Journal of July 21, 1901 is "Harpham Bros' warehouses." The same edition of that newspaper described "Business Buildings" of the 1901 construction season, noting "Harpham Bros. have purchased two lots on P street near Eighth upon which they expect to erect a model wholesale saddler building to accommodate their business. It will be 50 by 142 feet in size, with five floors. The plans have already been drawn for a model warehouse in every feature." The Harpham Bros. building at 808 P Street was constructed in 1903, but a 1903 source attributed it to F. C. Fiske's partnership at that time.
k. The announcement of James Tyler, Jr. as State Architect noted that the salary for the post was to be $2,500 annual, but the accompanying appropriation had been overlooked and therefore Tyler "will have to wait for two years to draw his salary warrants." The other applicants for the post were A. W. Woods of Lincoln and from Beatrice, George A. Berlinghof and Richard W. Grant. Nebraska State Journal mentioned in September 1903 that "The Omaha Bee refers to the 'ornamental state architect,' evidently having in mind the beautiful curves of Jim Tyler's whiskers."
l. Tyler directed remodeling work at the Funke Opera House, transforming it into offices above shops. One of the existing shop tenants, jeweler Eugene Hallett, obtained a court order against the work disturbing his shop.
m. The State Board of Public Lands and Buildings authorized State Architect Tyler to serve as contractor for a small commissary building at the Grand Island Soldiers' and Sailors' home. The funds available (under $6,000) were deemed insufficient to attract a private contractor.
n. James Tyler, Jr.'s report on his service as State Architect between June 1903 and December 1904 tallied nearly $275,000 worth of state buildings for which he had drawn plans. The report suggested that a typical fee would have been $13,571, while Tyler's salary was $2,000 per year. For his assistant, stenographer, and other expenses, the cost totaled $8,004, almost all of which remained unpaid by the state.
o. In the legislative session of 1905, both the office of State Architect and James Tyler, Jr. were under fire. A bill was filed to abolish the office and Tyler, or the claims he filed against the state, were under legislative investigation. The Lincoln Evening News reported in February 1905 that James Tyler, Jr. was being investigated regarding propriety of voucher filed by his office and other matters, including whether he was doing private architectural work. Omaha Bee on March 3, 1905 indicated architects Craddock and Fiske had testified as to Tyler's private work while holding the state office. That newspaper mentioned specific private projects, including the Grand Island library and a proposal for an addition to York High School. Eventually, nearly 87% of Tyler's claims were approved but the office of State Architect was abolished.
p. The Lincoln City Directory of 1901 lists Irving G. Chapin's residence as 1900 F Street. The 1903 atlas of Lincoln by Sanborn Map Co. shows the outline of a large, 2.5 story house at 1900 F Street, with a full length front porch featuring a central curved projection.
q. Thomas Cochrane, a grain dealer, lived with his family at 1141 D Street--the southwest corner of 11th & D Streets--in Lincoln as early as the 1880s. The 1891 Sanborn atlas of Lincoln shows the large house with an irregular outline and curved corner porch--presumably a Queen Anne style house. The extant building on the corner lot is Neo-classical in style, with a squared corner porch and abundant columns. The Tylers' work for Cochrane may have been the "Neo-classicizing" of the earlier house.
r. Nebraska State Journal reported on September 30, 1900 that "Plans have been drawn for an additional story for the Union Savings bank building, which has passed into the hands of the Central Granaries company. The beauty of the front will be preserved by making the new work conform in style with the old. The handsome copper cornice will be simply raised one story and the wall built up with cream bricks." In 1915, Lincoln Star published a drawing of the narrow, two-story façade of storefront of Union Loan and Savings association and the Miller-Winship Investment company at 132 North 11th, with an elaborate cornice.
s. Nebraska State Journal reported on August 20, 1901 that "A large double house is under erection at the northeast corner of Fourteenth and Q streets, on the lots owned by Mrs. J. R. Webster. One of the residences will be occupied by Chancellor Andrews during the coming year."
t. Lincoln Evening News reported on June 21, 1901 about a dispute between T. P. Kennard, acting on behalf of his daughter Mrs. Cora Pitcher, and C. P. Atwood, owner of the large house built by F. W. Little at 740 South 17th. Kennard was supervising the construction of "a row of fashionable flats" on the lot north of Atwood's. An alley separated the two parcels and Atwood asserted that the south foundation of the Kennard/Pitcher building encroached on the alley. A survey indicated an encroachment of a few inches, but Kennard established that the north half of the long-used alley had never been platted to the city. He offered to deed the land to the city for the alley, if the city would provide a deed accepting the land occupied by the foundation. Somehow the dispute was resolved--the 1903 atlas of Lincoln by Sanborn Map Company shows two flats on Mrs. Pitcher's lot, with their south wall tight against the alley. 
u. As the firm of Tyler & Son transitioned into Tyler & Brandt in 1907, some projects then underway must be regarded as products of both firms. Improvement Bulletin of June 1, 1907 listed a project "Havelock, Neb.--Tyler & Grant [sic], architects, Lincoln, have plans for a 2-story Masonic temple for the Masonic Consistory. Cost, $25,000." A week later, the same trade journal noted under "Theaters and Halls...Havelock, Neb.--Bids are in for the foundation of the Masonic building. James Tyler & Son, architects, Lincoln."
v. This project post-dated the transition from Tyler & Son to Tyler & Brandt by several years. The American Contractor trade journal of January 25, 1913 includes under "Contracts Awarded" in Lincoln, Nebraska a "Y. M. C. A. & Library Bldg" in Seward, Nebraska by "Archts. Tyler & Brandt, Richards bldg., Lincoln." The description mentions "1 & 2 sty. & bas. 58x120. $25,000." SEE Tyler & Brandt, Architects.
1. James Tyler & Son, Architects, undated letterhead, ca. 1905.
2. Lincoln Trade Review 1:42 (1903), 3.
3. Lincoln Trade Review 2:1 (1903), 3. (contract for drwg plans, 2 story brick with auditorium)
4. Lincoln Trade Review 1:2 (1902), 4. (entrance moved to the west, new elevator, front remodeled for Columbia National Bank.)
5. Lincoln Trade Review 1:11 (1902), 4.
6. Lincoln Trade Review 1:15 (1902), 3.
7. Lincoln Trade Review 1:18 (1902), 3.
8. Lincoln Trade Review 1:20 (1902), 3.
9. Lincoln Trade Review 1:24 (1902), 3. (to draw plans).
10. Lincoln Trade Review 1:29 (1902), 8. (two story frame, 22 x46, $3,500)
11. Lincoln Trade Review 1:36 (1903), 3. ($3,500)
12. Lincoln Trade Review 1:36 (1903), 3.
13. Lincoln Trade Review 1:39 (1903), 9.
14. Lincoln Trade Review 1:40 (1903), 3.
15. Nebraskans, 1854-1904 (Omaha: Bee Publishing Co., 1904), 168. [978.2.B39n]
16. Vladimir Kucera, Czech Churches in Nebraska.
17. School Board Minutes, in Edward F. Zimmer to D. Murphy, email communication, July 7, 2011.
18. Mother Acklin Bullock, Congregational Nebraska. Lincoln: Western Publishing & Engraving Company, 1905, 260.
19. “Row Houses for Mrs. Lamb,” The Inland Architect and News Record Vol. 21. (illustration)
20. Mrs. Maryan Tyler Matthew. Personal interview. November 27, 1978.
21. Nebraska State Library Commission, Architects & Buildings File.
22. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
23. "Kearney Daily Hub" (July 7, 1903), 3.
24. "Lincoln Loyalty--Prominent Builders of Proud Structures in 1893," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (January 1, 1894), 8.
25. "Notice to Contractors," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (March 11, 1894), 15.
26. "Notice to Contractors," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (March 19, 1894), 7.
27. "Auditorium Plans Are Now in the Hands of Tom Hickey. What It Will Comprise. Designed to Seat at Least Six Thousand People on Occasions When so Great a Capacity is Desired for Large Gatherings," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (October 31, 1894), 1.
28. "How Mosher Got Shares...Court Notes...In the Courts," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (November 24, 1894), 8.
29. "Notice to Contractors," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (June 11, 1895), 7.
30. "Mere Mention," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (June 16, 1895), 6.
31. "Mere Mention," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (February 9, 1896), 6.
32. "Proposals will be received..." (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (July 4, 1896), 7; "Brevities," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening Call (July 13, 1896), 4.
33. "New High School. The Board of Education Badly Pressed for Room," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening Call (January 5, 1897), 1; "Board Looks Over Plans. Seven Architects Submit Drawings of a New High School Building," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (April 22, 1897), 6; "Approves the Plans. The Board of Education Awards Architect's Bid For the New School Building. James Tyler Captures the Plum...," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (April 23, 1897), 1.
34. "Auditorium Must Be Built...Proposition Calls for a Building to Cost $50,000 to be Located on the Corner of Thirteenth and M Streets," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (August 25, 1897), 3; "People to Pay! Button Business to Build the Auditorium Building. Want Bonds for the Residue," (Lincoln, Nebraska) Evening News (August 25, 1897), 1.
35. "Mere Mention," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (August 29, 1897), 6
36. "$3,500. Lincoln Hotel, Farmers & Merchants Ins. Co. and Lincoln Gas Co. Each Give $250." (Lincoln, Nebraska) Evening News (Sept. 25, 1897), 1 (illustrated with "a drawing made from a rough plan submitted by Architect Tyler.")
37. "Complete. The New High School Building Will be a Model Structure." Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening Call (December 19, 1897), 11; "Cost of High School. New Building, Furnished, Foots Up $27, 677.66." (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (January 23, 1898, 4.
38. "Management of Davis Fire. Chief Weidman Claims All Possible Fighting Was Done." (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (April 3, 1898), 4; "Rebuilding Contract Let. A. M. Davis Company Will Soon Have an Entirely New Home." Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (August 23, 1898), 5.
39. "Republican Petitions are Numerous Today. Men Who Want to be Nominated for the Various City Offices File Their Announcements of that Fact with the Central Committee," Lincoln (Nebraska) Daily News (March 5, 1898), 5; "Every Voter A Delegate. Republicans to Nominate City Candidates Today...Good List of Candidates from which to Select...," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (March 11, 1898), 2; "A Sweeping Victory. Republicans Carry the City by a Handsome Margin...Water Commissioner James Tyler...," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (April 6, 1898), 4.
40. "Proposals," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (October 23, 1898), 6.
41. "New Creamery Building. Contract Let for a Handsome Structure Today." Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (November 2, 1898), 1; Ed Zimmer, Historic Haymarket, Lincoln, Nebraska (Lincoln, Nebraska: Lincoln Haymarket Development Company, 2014), 8-9.
42. "Will Remodel. Capital Hotel to Be Improved and Made Like New," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (March 28, 1899), 5.
43. "Notice to Contractors," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (June 23, 1899), 7.
44. "Auditorium to be Built. Contract Awarded to T. P. Harrison. Twenty Thousand Dollars," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (August 25, 1899), 8.
45. "Notice to Contractors," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (February 28, 1900), 7.
46. "The City Campaign," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (March 30, 1900), 4.
47. "Library Board Meeting. Committee on Building Site and Plans Report," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (May 2, 1900), 6; "Plans for Library. Board Declare Fisher & Lawrie the Winners. Competition was Strong. Six Architects Submit Detailed Drawings. An Omaha Firm Meets Requirements Demanded--Building a Beautiful Structure," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (July 22, 1900), 1 (illustrated).
48. "Notice to Contractors...[by] Franciscan Sisterhood of Nebraska," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (July 14, 1901), 14; "Fine Hospital Facilities. Lincoln's Accommodations Will Be Much Enlarged. St. Elizabeth will Expand. Bids Now Being Received for a New Main Building to Cost $35,000," (Lincoln, Nebraska) Sunday State Journal (July 21, 1901), 2:1 (elevation of "New Main Building for St. Elizabeth's Hospital"); "To Dedicate New Hospital. St. Elizabeth's New Building Almost Completed," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (September 28, 1902), 4.
49. "New Buildings are Many...Best for a Dozen Years" (page 2:1), continued as "Builders Notes" (page 2:3) (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (July 21, 1901).
50. "City in Brief" ("Trial of the suit of James Tyler & Son against the firm of Richards & Cornish..."), Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening New (December 2, 1901), 6.
51. "Grand Opening! Funke's Opera House on September 11th, 12th, 13th " Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (June 26, 1884), 1; and Lancaster Deeds 13:168, 169, Hallo et al to Frederick Funke, 1882.
52. "Gets Pie. State Board of Public Lands and Building Makes Tyler State Architect," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (June 4, 1903), 6; "James Tyler, Jr., Was Appointed. He Will Serve as State Architect for the Next Two Years," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (June 4, 1903), 2.
53. "At Work. State Architect Tyler on Duty at Hastings Preparing Specifications," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News" (June 24, 1903), 2.
54. "State to Take Big Stride at Norfolk. Board of Public Lands and Buildings Plans for Up-to-Date Cottage System for New Asylum," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (July 14, 1903), 1; "Tour to Inspect Cottage System. State Architect and Other Officials Go East to Examine Insane Asylums Run on Modern Basis," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (August 5, 1903), 6.
55. "City in Brief," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (July 15, 1903), 6; "Elaborate Plans for Capitol Grounds. State Architect has Arranged for Improvements," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (July 31, 1903), 2; "Changes Planned for the Capitol Grounds. State Architect Tyler Has Outlined a Few Innovations Consisting of Walks and Drives," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (August 8, 1903), 16 (illustrated with plans).
56. "Here in Lincoln," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (July 18, 1903), 2.
57. "Must Stop Noise. An order to prevent hammering over a jeweler's. Eugene Hallett Sues for Damages Alleged to have been sustained in the remodeling of the Funke Opera House," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star,(October 8, 1902), 3; "Seeks Relief From Incessant Pounding," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (October 8, 1902), 1.
58. "The Local Improvements of a Year," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (December 19, 1903), 18 (including photos of "The New Funke Building," "The New Harpham Building," "The Rudge and Guenzel Building," and "The Melick Flats").
59. "More or Less Personal," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (September 5, 1903), 6.
60. "Sealed bids will be received for the erection of a girl's cottage at Weeping Water..." (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (September 14, 1903), 2.
61. "Plans for Norfolk Asylum. They Were Adopted Monday by the State Board," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (February 2, 1904), 7.
62. "Adjusted Their Differences. Architect Tyler Had a Disagreement with the Carnegie Library Board at Grand Island." Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (March 25, 1904), 3.
63. "General Culver Has Hall Building Plan," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (March 25, 1904), 7; "Planning Armory for the Veterans. A Building, Costing $20,000 May be Erected Near the Capitol," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (April 2, 1904), 1.
64. "Plans for Soldiers' Home," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (June 30, 1904), 5; "State Its Own Builder. Constructing Commissary Room at Grand Island. Experiment Being Watched. State Architect Buys Materials and Oversees the Work," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (August 20, 1904), 4.
65. "State Architect Reports," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (December 13, 1904), 3.
66. "Building permits issued: Lincoln Telephone Company," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (September 4, 1903), 8; "Contract Has Been Signed. Work Starts Today on Lincoln Telephone Building. Campbell Bros. Agree to Have it Completed and Ready for Occupancy December 15," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (October 7, 1903), 4; "The Telephone Business Thrives in Lincoln," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (December 19, 1903), 20 (illustrated with rendering).
67. "To Abolish Position of State Architect," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (February 7, 1905), 6; "Investigate State Architect Tyler. Secret Sub-Committee of House Calls Witnesses to Look Into Legality of Voucher Filed by Official," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (February 28, 1905), 1; "Tyler Hearing Broadens. Much Interesting Testimony Secured Regarding the State Architect," Omaha (Nebraska) Daily Bee (March 3, 1905), 2; "State Capital Lincoln Chat," Valentine (Nebraska) Democrat (March 30, 1905), 2; "State Architect No More," Omaha (Nebraska) Daily Bee (April 6, 1905), 3.
68. "Names Judges for the Fair. Managers of Board of Agriculture Hold Important Meeting," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (May 5, 1905), 5.
69. "Monday Mention," Norfolk (Nebraska) Weekly News-Journal (May 26, 1905), 2; Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (July 23, 1905), 12 (illustrated with rendering).
70. "Cottage System, Norfolk Asylum," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (July 30, 1905), 13 (illustrated with rendering).
71. Sister Loretta Gosen, History of the Catholic Diocese of Lincoln, Nebraska (1986), 216.
72. Improvement Bulletin (January 5, 1900), 21:16.
73. Improvement Bulletin (March 10, 1900), 21:ccxi.
74. Architectural plans by Tyler & Son, Lincoln/Lancaster County Planning Dept., Lincoln, Nebraska.
75. Improvement Bulletin (October 13, 1900), 22:289. ($15,000)
76. Improvement Bulletin (August 24, 1901), 24:19. ($60,000)
77. Improvement Bulletin (September 26, 1903), 17.
78. Improvement Bulletin (February 3, 1906), 32:42. ($4,500)
79. Improvement Bulletin (May 5, 1906), 32:26; "Notice to Contractors," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (May 23, 1906), 8. ($6,000)
80. "Notice to Contractors" Omaha (Nebraska) Daily Bee (June 10, 1906), 27.
81. "Elks' Club at Thirteenth and P," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (December 30, 1906), 32 (illustrated with construction photo).
82. "Mere Mention," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (September 30, 1900), 8.
83. "Lincoln Safe Deposit Co.'s New Building, 126 North Eleventh St.," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (July 21, 1901), 17 (illustrated with photograph).
84. "New Masonic Quarters. Contract Let for Remodeling Webster Block," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (August 9, 1900), 6.
85. "The R. B. Graham Flats, 14th and L Street. The first modern artificial stone house built in Lincoln, completed in the fall of 1905," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (February 11, 1906), 13 (illustrated with photograph).
86. "Flats Erected by S. A. D. Shilling. Aftificial [sic] Stone, Located at 1337 K," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (February 11, 1906), 13 (illustrated with photograph).
87. "People You Know," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (August 30, 1901), 6.
88. "Involved. City Council Finds Itself Drawn Into the Vortex of a Neighborhood Dispute," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (June 21, 1901), 1.
89. "Remodel Two Big Business Blocks At Once. Burr Building to be Thoroughly Modernized. Funke Theatre Will Become an Office Building," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (January 8, 1902), 1.
90. "Building," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (September 13, 1902), 6.
91. Advertisement: "Dr. Leonhardt, Office and Residence Removed to 1726 N Street," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (January 24, 1903), 8.
92. "Mere Mention...C. D. Mullen offers for sale his modern residence at 1809 N street." Lincoln (Nebraska) State Journal (July 18, 1902), 6.
93. American Contractor (January 5, 1913), 65.
94. "Theaters and Halls...Havelock, Neb.," Improvement Bulletin (June 1, 1907), 23; and (June 8, 1907), 29.
95. "Theaters and Halls...Kearney, Neb." (cornerstone laid), Improvement Bulletin (December 21, 1907), 22.
96. "City Real Estate Safe Investment. Twenty-Four Years's Experience Proves to A. W. Miller It Is Best Class of Security. 'Push' Is Key of Success, According to President of Union Loan & Savings Company," Lincoln (Nebraska) Star (August 1, 1915), 2 ("Industrial Section").
D. Murphy & E. F. Zimmer, “James Tyler & Son, Architects,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, March 6, 2018. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, October 16, 2019.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.