Gordon Shattuck (1901-1989), Architect
Gordon Shattuck was a leading modern architect in Grand Island, Nebraska, practicing there principally from 1923-1943. He apprenticed, then practiced with Arthur D. Baker, Grand Island, Nebraska, then assumed Baker’s business and established his own firm in 1933. He is noted as the architect for a number of modern residences in Grand Island, having designed several schools in the area as well.
Shattuck was born in Cairo, Nebraska, May 19, 1901, the son of Amos Henry Shattuck and Clara L. Craig Shattuck. He married Virginia Neligh in September of 1924 (deceased, 1938), and together they had one son, Craig N., and daughter, Patricia Jane (Stephenson). He died November 1, 1989 in Seattle, Washington, where he retired; he was survived by his son (Perth, Australia), and daughters Patricia Stephenson (Carmel, California) and Lynn Shattuck of Seattle. He was a past member of the Rotary Club (1940), and member of the Nebraska Engineering Society, University Club in Lincoln, AF & AM, BPOE, Liederkranz Society, and the Baptist Church in Grand island.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Grand Island, Nebraska, 1929-1932, 1934-1941, 1945-1946, 1957
Omaha, Nebraska, 1943-1944
Educational & Professional Associations
1917: Cairo High School, Cairo, Nebraska.
1920s: attended Ottawa College, Ottawa, Kansas.
1923: Bachelor of Arts, Grand Island Baptist College, Grand Island, Nebraska.
1923-1926: building superintendent business, Grand Island, Nebraska.
1933-1941: Gordon Shattuck, Architect, Grand Island, Nebraska.[a]
1937: Registered Professional Architect, Nebraska, A-40; December 28, 1937.
1943-1944: project manager, Peter Kiewit Company, Omaha, Nebraska.
1945-1946: Gordon Shattuck Architect, Grand island, Nebraska.
1957: occupation not listed, Grand Island, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
Miller Hall (1920), Chadron State College, 1000 Main St., Chadron, Nebraska.
Mari Sandoz High Plains Heritage Center (1929), Chadron State College, 1000 Main St., Chadron, Nebraska.
House (ca. 1930s), SW corner Anna & Harrison, Grand Island, Nebraska. (HL06-118)
Edna G. Work Hall (1932), Chadron State College, 1000 Main St., Chadron, Nebraska.
Proposal for new Grand Island City Library (1937), Grand Island, Nebraska.
Mrs. H. J. Bartenbach house redesign (1937-1938), Grand Island, Nebraska. (HL06-052)
Crites Hall (1938), Chadron State Teachers College, Chadron, Nebraska. (DW03-094)
Pier Park Swimming Pool (1939-1941), Grand Island, Nebraska.
Island City Hall (1940-1941), Grand Island, Nebraska.
Boys Dormitory (n.d.), Wayne State Teachers College, Wayne, Nebraska.
Minden High School (n.d.), Minden, Nebraska.
Clink Building (n.d.), Grand Island, Nebraska.
C of C Building (n.d.)
b. Now (1989) located at the Stuhr Museum, Grand Island, Nebraska.
1. Robert Hanna, telephone conversation with D. Murphy, February 12, 1979.
2. Who's Who in Nebraska, 1940, p 529.
3. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
4. “Gordon Shattuck,” Grand Island Independent (November 3, 1989), 13:3.
5. “Boulder Modern House, Mid-century architecture in Boulder, Colorado: J. W. Noaecker (1913-1974),” Jim Broaddus website, http://jimbroaddus.com/bouldermodernhouse_march_30_007.htm Accessed, October 26, 2011.
6. Minutes of the City of Grand Island, May 12, 1939; http://city2.grand-island.com/WEBLINK8/0/doc/8640/Page93.aspx Accessed, October 26, 2011.
7. Minutes of the City of Grand Island, May 7, 1941; http://city2.grand-island.com/WEBLINK8/0/doc/8633/Page128.aspx Accessed, October 26, 2011.
8. Joan W. Davis, “A History of the Grand Island Public Library, 1884-1984,” City of Grand Island Public Library, Internet Branch. http://www.gi.lib.ne.us/davis.html Accessed, October 26, 2011.
9. “Professional license results for Gordon Shattuck,” State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects website, accessed September 3, 2013, http://www.ea.ne.gov/search/search.php?page=details&lic=A40
10. Bahr Vermeer Haecker Architects, Historical Resources Group, Inc., & Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc., State-Owned Buildings Survey Report (Lincoln, Nebraska: Nebraska State Historical Society, August 2013).
D. Murphy, “Gordon Shattuck (1901-1989), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, September 25, 2018. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, May 30, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.