Golden Joseph Zenon, Jr. (1929-2006), Architect
Golden J. Zenon, Jr. was born on March 13, 1929, and grew up in Abbeville, Louisiana. He graduated from the University of Nebraska with a Bachelor of Architecture in 1955, whereupon he went to work for Leo A. Daly Company in Omaha. Zenon began his own practice, Zenon Beringer Architects, in Omaha, in 1976. Zenon retired from practice in the mid-1990s and died on December 27, 2006.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Omaha, Nebraska, 1963-1976
Educational & Professional Associations
1962: Registered Professional Architect, Nebraska, A-558; December 15, 1962.[[#References|4]
1977: not listed, Omaha, Nebraska.
1986: Fellow, American Institute of Architects.
1989-1993: president, Zenon Pharmacy, Omaha, Nebraska
1994: License expired December 31, 1994.[[#References|4]
1999: no occupation listed, Omaha, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
University of Nebraska at Omaha Strauss Performing Arts Building (1973), Omaha, Nebraska.[6:114]
College of Nursing, University of Nebraska Medical Center (n.d.), Omaha, Nebraska.
a. First Omaha, Nebraska, listing, 1955.
c. Omaha Boys & Girls Club.
d. Registered Professional Architect, State of Nebraska.
1. “Architect Zenon made mark in Omaha,” AIA NE Update LII (January 5, 2007), accessed September 26, 2008, <http://www.aiane.org/newsletter/20070105.htm#content406>
2. AIA Historical Directory of American Architects: A Resource Guide to Finding Information About Past Architects, accessed August 17, 2010, http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/ahd1050291.aspx
3. Social Security Death Index online; http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
4. State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects website, Professional license results for Golden Joseph Zenon, Jr., accessed October 1, 2013, http://www.ea.ne.gov/search/search.php?page=details&lic=A558
5. Erin Grace, “He Blazed A Trail in Red Bricks and Blueprints,” Omaha World Herald (February 21, 2014), 2A-2B.
6. Jeff Barnes, 150@150: Nebraska's Landmark Buildings at the State's Sesquicentennial (Architectural Foundation of Nebraska, 2017).
Entry in Dreck Spurlock Wilson, ed., African American Architects: A Biographical Dictionary 1865-1945 (New York: Routledge, 2004).
D. Murphy, “Golden Joseph Zenon, Jr. (1929-2006), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, April 9, 2015. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, February 27, 2021.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.