George William Frank, Jr. (1861-1905), Architect
George William Frank, Jr. was born in November of 1861 in Warsaw, New York.[e] He was a prominent Kearney businessman and architect. He was the son of Phoebe McNair and George Washington Frank, Sr., also a well-known businessman. The Franks moved to Kearney in 1885. Frank quickly established the Kearney Brick Company, which he claimed was the "first brickyard in the world operated by electricity." The December 22, 1889 edition of the Kearney Enterprise called the company one of the best brick-making establishments in the country.
Frank also began designing the Frank House shortly after his arrival in Kearney. The house was a gift to his parents, designed with an eye toward entertaining the business partners of the father, who was heavily involved in the industrial development of Kearney.
Frank was married to Ella Stedman, and they had two children, Louise and George Stedman Frank. After his health began to decline, he moved around the country to places such as South Carolina and Arizona, hoping a different climate would improve his state. He died January 19, 1905 in Liberty, New York, having enduring several years of poor health, at 43 years old.
Educational & Professional Associations
1886-1889: George W. Frank, Jr., Architect, Kearney, Nebraska.
ca. 1887: founder, Kearney Brick Company, Kearney, Nebraska.
1889-1891: architect and partner, Frank Bailey & Farmer, Architects, Kearney, Nebraska.
1889-1891: retained Walter Pell Pulis to make presentation drawings.
Buildings & Projects
Kearney City Hall (ca. 1888), Kearney, Nebraska.
b. The architect was Samuel E. des Jardins of Cincinnati, Ohio.
c. According to the 1891 Kearney City Directory, Myron G. Farmer removed to Detroit in 1891.
d. The house was wired with electricity, had three indoor bathrooms, and used steam heat.
e. To not be confused; George Frank, Jr. has a different middle name (William) than his father George Frank, Sr. (Washington). 
1. American Architect & Building News 754 (March 22, 1890), drawing by Walter Pell Pulis (ca. 1865- ), Architect.
2. American Architect & Building News 24:666 (September 29, 1888).
3. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
4. “Geo. W. Frank, Jr., Dead,” Nebraska State Journal (January 22, 1905), 4:2.
5. Margaret Stines Nielsen, “The Hotels of Kearney – Part I,” Buffalo Tales 10:8 (September, 1987), accessed through the Buffalo County Historical Society website, May 17, 2012, http://www.bchs.us/BTales_198709.html
6. Alice Shaneyfelt Howell, “Brickmaking in Kearney,” Buffalo Tales 16:5 (September-October, 1993), accessed through bchs.us on November 5, 2015, http://www.bchs.us/BTales_199309.html
7. “The Frank House,” NebraskaTraveler.com, accessed November 5, 2015, http://nebraskatraveler.com/tourist-attractions/the-frank-house.php
8. “Frank House,” VisitKearney.org, 2013, accessed November 5, 2015, http://visitkearney.org/directory/listing/frank-house/
9. "George William Frank" FindaGrave.com Accessed February 27, 2018 via https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/18638246/fran
10. "George William Frank, Jr" Kulla|Gross|Goldberg|Braunfeld Families Tree-Ancestry.com Accessed February 27, 2018 via https://www.ancestrylibrary.com/family-tree/person/tree/24902430/person/26082398532/facts?ssrc=
Return to Top of Page
D. Murphy, “George William Frank, Jr. (1861-1905), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, February 27, 2018. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, June 3, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.