George W. Field (1839-1897), Architect & Civil Engineer
George Field was born in 1839, in Chicago, Illinois. He is known for his extensive portfolio of military and civil building designs. Field took an academic course at Iowa College, but garnered much of his knowledge from working in the employ of various railways, which allowed him to experience civil engineering and architecture. While working for the railways, Field was used in the different departments as a topographical, mechanical and architectural draughtsman. In April, 1861, Field left a nearly completed classical course of study at the Iowa Wesleyan University to enter the army as private in the First Iowa Infantry. He was afterward employed in the civil department in railway services until the close of the war, and returned to the North in poor health.
Desiring to complete his studies, Field attended Michigan University, graduating in 1868, at the age of 29. Field sought to quit the practice of civil engineering and architecture, and instead endeavor to practice the specialties of railway and building law, but he still worked in engineering throughout his life. He arrived in Omaha, Nebraska in 1873 to do architectural and engineering work for the Military Department of the Platte, in architectural and civil engineering work.
This page is a contribution to the publication, Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. See the Format and contents of Nebraska architect entries page for more information on the compilation and page organization.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Omaha, Nebraska, 1880-1895
Educational & Professional Associations
1876-1887: civil engineer and chief draftsman, QM dept of the Platte, Omaha, Nebraska.[a]
1888-1893: architect, Bee building, Omaha, Nebraska.
1894-1895: Not listed, Omaha, Nebraska.
1896-1897: architect, Omaha, Nebraska.
1896-1897: architect and partner, Ellis & Findley, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
General Crook house (1878), Fort Omaha, Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:10-1)
A. Strang building (1880-1881), NE corner 10th & Farnam, Omaha, Nebraska.
U.S. Military Headquarters (n.d.), Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:10-1)
Water works (n.d.), Omaha, Nebraska.
a. First Omaha directory listing, 1876.
b. On the merger of the Western Association of Architects with The American Instute of Architects in 1889, all AIA members were made Fellows because WAA members were known as Fellows.
1. A. T. Andreas, History of the State of Nebraska (Chicago: The Western Publishing Company, 1882), 768.
2. Omaha Daily Bee (January 1, 1882), [Business Directory].
3. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
4. AIA Historical Directory of American Architects: A Resource Guide to Finding Information About Past Architects, accessed May 4, 2010, http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/ahd1013692.aspx
5. Industrial Chicago: The Building Interests Vol. 1 (Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891), accessed August 2, 2012, http://libsysdigi.library.uiuc.edu/oca/Books2008-03/industrialchicag/industrialchicag01good/industrialchicag01good.pdf
6. Omaha Illustrated (Omaha: D. C. Dunbar, 1885), 79.
D. Murphy, “George W. Field (1839-1897), Architect & Civil Engineer,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, April 17, 2020. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, May 28, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.