George H. T. Schaefer (1857-1951), Architect-Builder
DBA: G.H.T. Schaefer
George H. T. Schaefer was born on November 11, 1857 in Indianapolis, Indiana, attending school until about 8th grade. His parents were German immigrants John George Schaefer and Minnie Seibert, and he was one of 10 children. He was married to Elizabeth Jacobs in 1881, who had immigrated from Germany in 1861, and at this same time moved to her hometown of Atchison, Kansas, where he would work and live the rest of his life. The couple had 7 daughters and 1 son. Schaefer worked as a carpenter, builder, contractor, and architect throughout the stages of his long life, and his buildings were not limited to Kansas; spanning nearby states like Nebraska as well. Schaefer retired sometime between 1920 and 1940, and died at the age of 93 in Kansas on July 20, 1951.
This page is a contribution to the publication, Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. See the Format and contents of Nebraska architect entries page for more information on the compilation and page organization.
Educational & Professional Associations
ca.1890: carpenter and contractor, Atchison, Kansas.
ca.1900-ca.1925: architect-builder, Atchison, Kansas.
Buildings & Projects
First Trinity Lutheran Church (1905), rural Gage County, west of Beatrice, Nebraska.
Residence (1910), Atchison, Kansas. 
Masonic Temple (1915), Atchison, Kansas.
1.Listed in National Register of Historic Places.
2. “Kansas,” Engineering and Contracting Vol. 43 (Engineering and Contracting Publishing Company: 1915), 34. Accessed April 25, 2017 via Google Books. https://books.google.com/books?id=Mm43AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA34&lpg=RA1-PA34&dq=G.H.T.+Schaefer+kansas+architect&source=bl&ots=51hHS01LmN&sig=dQG9O1bEx6nI0vqgCJSnPWsSUiw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQgdChv8DTAhWm4IMKHT8pCLoQ6AEIODAF#v=onepage&q=G.H.T.%20Schaefer%20kansas%20architect&f=false
3. “Kansas City, MO” The American Contractor Vol. 31 (July 30, 1910), 57. Accessed April 25, 2017 via Google Books. https://books.google.com/books?id=32hYAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA3-PA57&lpg=RA3-PA57&dq=G.H.T.+Schaefer+kansas+architect&source=bl&ots=BOUZITOI5_&sig=aw6_DRVUYS_GIRXa6GEGTCJFPq8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQgdChv8DTAhWm4IMKHT8pCLoQ6AEINDAD#v=onepage&q=G.H.T.%20Schaefer%20kansas%20architect&f=false
4. Ancestry.com. U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.
5. Ancestry.com. George H.T. Shaefer in Whoriskey Family Tree. Accessed on April 25, 2017 via https://www.ancestrylibrary.com/family-tree/person/tree/85785546/person/42526420856/facts
6. Ancestry.com. 1940 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.
7. Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch. http://search.ancestrylibrary.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=1920usfedcen&h=64858434&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=GbJ22&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&rhSource=2442
8. Ancestry.com. 1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004. []
D. Murphy, “George H. T. Schaefer (1857-1951), Architect-Builder,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, April 26, 2017. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, May 26, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.