Fiske & Peters, Architects
Ferdinand C. Fiske, Lincoln, Nebraska
George W. Peters, Lincoln, Nebraska
Fiske & Peters was a short-lived Lincoln architectural partnership formed not long after both men arrived in Lincoln, Peters from Dayton, Ohio in 1886 and Fiske from Minneapolis around 1887. Both were near 30 years of age, had several years of architectural background, and had married in recent years. Despite these similarities, it is not clear that their partnership was productive, while it definitely was short. None of Peters' few Lincoln projects are known to have involved Fiske, and Fiske immediately embarked upon a prolific Lincoln career, with only a single one of his commissions apparently involving Peters. Therefore that project is listed here, while the rest of their work of the 1888-1889 period is listed on their individual pages.
This page is a contribution to the publication, Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. See the Format and contents of Nebraska architect entries page for more information on the compilation and page organization.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Lincoln, Nebraska, 1888-1889
Educational & Professional Associations
1888-1889: Fiske & Peters, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
a. The April 8, 1888 edition of Nebraska State Journal announced that "Messrs. Fiske & Peters is the name of a new firm that has recently embarked in the business as architectds in this city, with their office in the new Sheldon block, corner of N and south 11th streets. Mr. Fiske, the senior member of the firm, is a new comer to the city, having removed her from Minneapolis but a short time ago. Of him the Northwestern Architect says: 'Mr. Ferdinand C. Fiske of the architectural firm of Goodwin & Fiske has removed to Lincoln, Neb. Mr. Fiske's removal from Minneapolis was caused by a desire to be in a milder climate. Mr. Fiske was one of the most capable young architects in the city, and has been an able assistant to Mr. Goodwin. The firm has done some of the best work in the northwest and its patrons are almost exclusively among the wealthiest citizens of this city.' The junior member, Mr. George W. Peters, has been in the city for a number of years in the employ of Mr. Hawkins, the architect, in which position he has given ample evidence of his proficiency in that line. He was formerly of the firm Peters & Burns, architects, Dayton, O. THE JOURNAL wishes the young men success, which it believes they are bound to achieve."
b. A lengthy article on the dedication of the new "German Catholic" church notes: "The architects of the church of St. Francis De Sales are Messrs. Fiske & Peters of Lincoln, and the general contractors, Messrs. Krone & Anderson," with a further listing of various craftsmen and subcontractors. The total cost is estimated at $8,000. "The new church is a modest structure, Gothic in its outlines, and so far as any style is prominent, it may be said to be perpendicular Gothic. There is a well built and high stone basement, and above this is the frame structure of the church, surmounted by a spire, on the summit of which is the Latin cross of the church."
1. "A New Firm of Architects," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (April 8, 1888), 7.
2. "Francis De Sales. Named in Honor of the Gentle Saint. The German Catholics Dedicate Their New Church With Imposing Ceremonies," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (February 25, 1889), 6.
E. F. Zimmer and D. Murphy, “Fiske & Peters, Architects,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, December 26, 2017. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, July 12, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.