Fiske & Peters, Architects

From E Nebraska History
Revision as of 19:47, 3 December 2017 by EZimmer (Talk | contribs) (Finally, a project with a contemporary listing as "Fiske & Peters")

Jump to: navigation, search
Lincoln, Nebraska, 1888-1889

Partners:

Ferdinand C. Fiske, Lincoln, Nebraska

George W. Peters, Lincoln, Nebraska

Fiske & Peters was a short-lived Lincoln architectural partnership formed not long after both men arrived in Lincoln, Peters from Dayton, Ohio in 1886 and Fiske from Minneapolis around 1887. Both were near 30 years of age, had several years of architectural background, and had married in recent years. Despite these similarities, it is not clear that their partnership was productive, while it definitely was short. None of Peters' few Lincoln projects are known to have involved Fiske, and Fiske immediately embarked upon a prolific Lincoln career, with only a single one of his commissions apparently involving Peters. Therefore that projects is listed here, while the rest of their work of the 1888-1889 period is listed on their individual pages.

This page is a contribution to the publication, Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. See the Format and contents of Nebraska architect entries page for more information on the compilation and page organization.

Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings

Lincoln, Nebraska, 1888-1889

Educational & Professional Associations

1888-1889: Fiske & Peters, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.

Buildings & Projects

Saint Francis De Sales Catholic Church (1888-1889), NE corner 18th & J, Lincoln, Nebraska.[1][a]

See also F. C. Fiske and G. W. Peters.

Notes

a. A lengthy article on the dedication of the new "German Catholic" church notes: "The architects of the church of St. Francis De Sales are Messrs. Fiske & Peters of Lincoln, and the general contractors, Messrs. Krone & Anderson," with a further listing of various craftsmen and subcontractors. The total cost is estimated at $8,000. "The new church is a modest structure, Gothic in its outlines, and so far as any style is prominent, it may be said to be perpendicular Gothic. There is a well built and high stone basement, and above this is the frame structure of the church, surmounted by a spire, on the summit of which is the Latin cross of the church."[1]

References

1. "Francis De Sales. Named in Honor of the Gentle Saint. The German Catholics Dedicate Their New Church With Imposing Ceremonies," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (February 25, 1889), 6.

2. "Representative Business Firms....Deiman [sic] & Fiske," Cedar Rapids (Iowa) Republican (March 24, 1901), Cedar Rapids Industrial Edition: 12.

Page Citation

E. F. Zimmer and D. Murphy, “Fiske & Peters, Architects,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, December 3, 2017. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, July 12, 2020.


Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.