Emil Schreier (1862-1924), Builder-Architect
Emil Schreier was born on April 25, 1862 in Austria, the son of John Schreier, Cabinet Maker. His parents came to America when he was about three years old and settled in Chicago, where his father was engaged as a cabinet maker. When he was about nine, the family moved to Knoxville, near Verdigre, Nebraska.
Schreier was one of the original Czech settlers in Knox County, located in the Pischelville community in 1870 along with his father, Jan Srajer (1827-1892), and brothers Vincent and Raimond. He worked for thirty-three years in the lumber business in Verdigre. He also built the Nebraska State Bank Building in Verdigre in 1911. He married Mary Novacek in 1889 and they had three sons and a daughter. Their son Emil Paul became a notable architect in Nebraska. Emil Schreier died in 1924.
This page is a contribution to the publication, Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. See the Format and contents of Nebraska architect entries page for more information on the compilation and page organization.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Educational & Professional Associations
1892-1918: employee, The Horton Lumber Yard, Verdigre, Nebraska.
1918: partner with Joseph Klappal, Lumber Yard, Verdigre, Nebraska.
1919-1924: owner, Schreier Lumber Yard, Verdigre, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
Nebraska State Bank Building (1911), Verdigre, Nebraska.[3:387-88]
1. 1910 United States Census, s.v. “Emil Schreier,” Verdigre Township, Knox County, Nebraska, accessed through HeritageQuestOnline.com.
2. “Emil Schreier” ‘’FindaGrave.com’’ https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/95440243/emil-schreier
3. Margie Sobotka, comp., Nebraska, Kansas Czech Settlers, 1891-1895 (Evansville, Indiana: Unigraphic, 1980), 41a-47.
4. Rose Rosicky, A History of Czechs (Bohemians) in Nebraska (Omaha: Czech Historical Society of Nebraska, 1929), 186.
5. “Obituaries” ‘’The Verdigre Citizen,’’ March 13, 1924 via FindaGrave Accessed May 1, 2019 via https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/95440243/emil-schreier
Lydia Allen, “Emil Schreier (1862-1924), Builder-Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, December 19, 2018. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, May 31, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.