Ellery Hall Davis (1912-2003), Architect
Ellery Hall Davis was born on December 23rd, 1912 in Lincoln, Nebraska to Ellery L. and Cemille Hall Davis. Davis graduated from Lincoln High School in 1928, and went on to receive his Bachelor’s of Art in mathematics and architecture from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln in 1933. Davis went on to receive his Bachelor’s of Architecture from the prestigious Columbia University in 1936, at the age of 24. Thereafter, Davis worked as a draftsman, superintendent, and designer and Davis & Wilson, in a five year apprenticeship from 1936-1942.
After becoming a registered architect in Nebraska in 1941, Davis earned his Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln. In 1942, Davis became a full architect at Davis & Wilson in Lincoln, just a year later becoming a registered Professional Structural Engineer in Nebraska. From 1944 to 1946, Davis served as a Lieutenant Commander in the U. S. Navy. In 1958, at the age of 46, Davis became a Registered Senior Architect at NCARB, and served as the principal architect at Davis & Wilson until 1969. Starting in that same year, Davis was an architect at, and president of the firm, Davis, Fenton, Strange & Darling in Lincoln, working there until his retirement in 1976. Davis died February 16, 2003 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
He was married to Betty, had one daughter, and one grandson. Davis was a member of Pi Mu Epsilon, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Psi, the First Plymouth Congregational Church, Lincoln Country Club, Round Table Discussion Club, the Nebraska State Historical Society, University Alumni Association, the American Institute of Architects, and the Chamber of Commerce.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Lincoln, Nebraska, 1942-1979
Educational & Professional Associations
1928: graduated, Lincoln High School.
1930-1936: student, living at home (1930-1931 listed as Ellery L., Jr.).
1933: Bachelor's of Art, mathematics and architecture, University of Nebraska.
1934: structural engineering classes, University of Nebraska.
1936: Bachelor of Architecture, Columbia University.
1941: Registered Professional Architect, Nebraska, A-128; December 15, 1941.
1942: Bachelor of Science, Architectural Engineering, University of Nebraska, Lincoln.
1943: Registered Professional Engineer (structural), Nebraska, E-891; March 29, 1943.
1958: Registered Senior Architect, NCARB.
1968-1976: architect and founding partner, Davis Fenton Stange Darling, Architects & Engineers, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1976: retired from active practice.
1976-1979: chairman of the board, Davis Fenton Stange Darling, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
Southeast Senior High School (1955), Lincoln, Nebraska.
Senior High School (1958), Columbus, Nebraska.
First Continental National Bank (1958), Lincoln, Nebraska.
Overland National Bank (1960), Grand Island, Nebraska.
Senior High School (1960), Fremont, Nebraska.
Bryan Memorial Hospital (1961), Lincoln, Nebraska.
Dorsey Lab. & Pharmaceutical Plant (1964), Lincoln, Nebraska.
Univ. Nebr. Twin Tower Dorm (1964), Lincoln, Nebraska.
East High School (1967), Lincoln, Nebraska.
Lincoln General Hospital (1968), Lincoln, Nebraska.
First Plymouth Congregational Church Chapel (1969), Lincoln, Nebraska.
Honors & Awards
1964: 10 Best Plants of the Year award for Dorsey Lab, Factory Magazine, 1964.
1968: Hospital of Month award for Lincoln General Hospital, Modern Hospital Magazine, 1968.
1969: honor award, First Plymouth Congregational Church Chapel, National Conference Religious Architecture of Guild Religious Architect.
a. He was often referred to as “Junior,” and was listed in some city directories as Ellery, Jr., though this was not technically correct; it was merely a way for people to keep him and his father distinct in conversation. In later years, Ellery the elder, and Ellery the younger were sometimes used.[ed]
b. Listed last in city directories as Chairman of the Board, Davis Fenton Stange Darling, 1979; listed as retired, 1980 (cf. the dates Stange gives, in ).
1. “Obituary,” Lincoln Journal Star (February 28, 2003), 4B.
2. Jim Stange, “Davis Design: Design Excellence since 1912,” Preservation Association of Lincoln, Brown Bag Lecture Series, Museum of Nebraska History, Lincoln, May 13, 2003.
3. Carl Stuart, “Davis/Fenton/Stange/Darling,” Arch@UNL #5 (Spring 1976), 4-5.
4. “From the Files: Ellery Hall Davis,” The Nebraska Professional (May 2003), 4.
5. American Institute of Architects, comp., American Architects Directory, Second Ed. (New York: R. R. Bowker Co., 1962), 156, accessed April 4, 2010, http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/1962%20American%20Architects%20Directory.aspx
6. American Institute of Architects, comp., American Architects Directory, Third Ed. (New York: R. R. Bowker Co., 1970), 206, accessed April 4, 2010, http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/1970%20American%20Architects%20Directory.aspx
D. Murphy, “Ellery Hall Davis (1912-2003), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, March 12, 2003. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, August 19, 2022.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.