Charles Henry Sailor (1864-1944), Carpenter
DBA: Chaz H. Sailor; Charley H. Sailor; C. H. Sailor
Charles Henry Sailor was born in in 1864 in La Harpe, Illinois, the son of Caroline Reynolds and Richard Sailor. In October 1885, he married Lydia Almina Wyman, and they had five kids, Ralph, Ray, Hallie, Chester, and Dwight. That same year, the family built and settled in a sod house 14 miles south of the Niobrara river near Gordon, Nebraska. In 1889, Sailor built a new home in the town of Gordon for the family to move into. He has been referred to as one of two notable architects in Sheridan County at this time. He has also been remembered in the area as the designer of a majority of the older business buildings in Gordon, and the contractor for many as well. ] Sailor often worked with his brother Frank, who worked as a mason. He later opened a hardware store with his son Ralph as a partner. Sailor was very active in the community of Gordon; he was the President of the Fair Board in Gordon for 13 years, he was the City Clerk and on the City Council for many years, and was on the school board for 17 years.  Sailor died in 1944. 
Educational & Professional Associations
1910: Retail Merchant, Sheridan County, Nebraska. 
1930: Carpenter, Maple St., Gordon, Nebraska. 
Buildings & Projects
Sailor Sod Home (1885), 14 miles south of Niobrara River, near Gordon, Nebraska. 
Sailor Home (1889), Gordon, Nebraska. 
Methodist Church (n.d.), Gordon, Nebraska.[7:560]
Remodel, Presbyterian Church (n.d.), Gordon, Nebraska.[7:560]
1. Christina Slattery, et. al. Sheridan County: Nebraska Historic Buildings Survey (Madison, Wisconsin: Mead & Hunt, for the Nebraska State Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office, July 1998).
2. Ancestry.com, 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.
3. Ancestry.com, 1930 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2002.
4. “Charles Henry Sailor” FindAGrave.com Accessed March 14, 2018 via https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/142063189/charles-henry-sailor
5. Gordon, Nebraska: Our First Hundred Years (Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation, 1984).
6. Gwen Johnson Otte, "Office of C.H. Sailor, County Assessor" Pleasant Hill-Gordon, Nebraska. (Gordon, Nebraska, 2009), 129.
7. Sheridan County Historical Society, Recollections of Sheridan County, Nebraska. (Alliance, Nebraska: Iron Man Industries, 1976), 559-560.
Lydia Allen, “Charles Henry Sailor (1864-1944), Carpenter,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, March 27, 2018. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, August 11, 2022.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.