Berlinghof & Grant, Architects
The architectural partnership of Berlinghof & Grant was brief but productive. The firm announced its formation in 1900 and was listed in the directory for Beatrice and Gage County in 1902, after which the partners continued in individual practice.[a]
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Beatrice, Nebraska, 1902.
Buildings & Projects
Brick and stone store building for J. H. Clearman (1900), Minden, Nebraska.
Methodist Episcopal Church (1900), Minden, Nebraska.
A "modern dwelling" for Mrs. Van Arsdale (1900), Beatrice, Nebraska.
Alterations on flat building and on residence for D. W. Cooke, Beatrice, Nebraska.
Dwelling for J. O. Jeffrey (1900), Wymore, Nebraska.
Russell County Courthouse (1901-1903), Russell, Kansas.
a. Improvement Bulletin, a trade publication, noted "R. W. Grant, of Lincoln, and G. A. Berlinghof, of Beatrice, have formed a partnership, and will maintain offices at both places." The Lincoln office may have been established only briefly as both men remained residents of Beatrice and the Lincoln city directories do not reflect the partnership. A few projects cited in Improvement Bulletin in 1900 refer to the partners as "of Lincoln and Beatrice" or to Grant as "of Lincoln."
b. Improvement Bulletin notes that at "Hastings, NEB.--George A. Berlinghof, architect, of Beatrice, Neb., has prepared plans for a fireproof chapel and kitchen for the local institution, to cost $10,000.” Nebraska State Journal on May 6, 1901, advertised a "Notice to Contractors" for proposals for erection of a new fireproof building for the Hastings asylum, noting that the plans and specifications could be seen at the Beatrice office of Berlinghof and Grant.
c. Omaha Daily Bee of May 1, 1901 reports, with a dateline "Beatrice, Neb., April 30" that "George A. Berlinghof of this city was today awarded the contract for architectural plans and specifications for the new penitentiary building at Lincoln." A few days later Nebraska State Journal noted that $75,000 was appropriated to rebuild the penitentiary "but that amount will not be enough to make all the necessary improvements....In size and shape the new building will resemble the old building....Mr. Grant visited all the leading prisons in the west for the purpose of obtaining ideas of the latest improvements in prison construction." 
1. "Among the Architects," Improvement Bulletin (March 17, 1900), 11.
2. From the cornerstone, in the Nebraska State Historical Society, Museum Collections.
3. Improvement Bulletin (March 17, 1900), 19. Refers to "Berlinghof & Grant, architects, of Lincoln and Beatrice, Neb."
4. Improvement Bulletin (April 18, 1900), 14. Refers to "Berlinghof & Grant, architects, of Beatrice, Neb."
5. Improvement Bulletin (April 28, 1900), 18. Refers to "Berlinghof & Grant, architects, of Beatrice, Neb."
6. Improvement Bulletin (May 11, 1901), 19. Refers to "Berlinghof & Grant, architects, of Beatrice, Neb."
7. Improvement Bulletin (May 18, 1901), 17. Refers to "Berlinghof & Grant, architects, of Beatrice, Neb."
8. Improvement Bulletin (June 1, 1901), 14. Refers to "Berlinghof & Grant, architects, of Beatrice, Neb."
9. "Berlinghof, Geo. A.," J. Sterling Morton and Albert Wadkins, eds. Illustrated History of Nebraska (Lincoln: Jacob North & Co., 1907), III:A,536.
10. "Building Intelligence: Advance Rumors Continued," American Architect & Building News LXXV:1360 (January 18, 1902), xii.
11. Improvements Bulletin (December 14, 1901), 17; (December 21, 1901), 16; (March 29, 1902), 24.
12. Improvements Bulletin (December 21, 1901), 16.
13. "Contract Goes to Beatrice," Omaha Daily Bee (May 1, 1901), 3.
14. "Plans for Penitentiary Adopted by Board of Public Lands and Buildings," Nebraska State Journal (May 7, 1901), 5.
15. "Notice to Contractors," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (May 6, 1901), 5.
16. "New Penitentiary Walls. Massive and Solid They Loom on High. Administration Building. In Process of Construction--Building and Cells Will Cost at Least Seventy-five Thousand Dollars," (Lincoln, Nebraska) Sunday State Journal (July 21, 1901), 2:1 (illustrated with rendering).
D. Murphy and E. F. Zimmer, “Berlinghof & Grant, Architects,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, February 2, 2018. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, December 9, 2018.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.