Alfred B. Mullett (ca. 1834-1890), Architect
Alfred B. Mullett was born in Taunton, England, April 7, 1834. He was an assistant supervising architect for the U. S. Treasury from 1866-1874. Mullett was married and had two children. He died October 20, 1890.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Educational & Professional Associations
1860-1865: architect with Isaiah Rogers, Cincinnati, Ohio.
1866-1874: architect, U.S. Treasury, Washington, D. C.
1875-1890: architect, Washington, D. C.
Buildings & Projects
U.S. Post Office & Courthouse (1874), Omaha, Nebraska.
a. Mullett did the initial design for the building but resigned from the Treasury position before construction. William Appleton Potter re-designed and re-detailed the building, and supervised the construction.
1. AIA Historical Directory of American Architects: A Resource Guide to Finding Information About Past Architects, accessed May 25, 2010, http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/ahd3000702.aspx
2. 1870 United States Census, s.v. “Alfred Mullett,” Georgetown, Washington, District of Columbia, accessed through HeritageQuestOnline.com.
3. Oliver B. Pollak, Nebraska Courthouses: Contention, Compromise, and Community [Images of America Series] (Chicago: Arcadia Publishing, 2002), 119, 120. [725.1.P771n]
4. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
5. Henry F. Withey and Elsie Rathburn Withey. Biographical Dictionary of American Architects (Deceased). Los Angeles: Hennessey & Ingalls, Inc., 1970, 432.
6. "Architectural drawing for a government building ("U.S. Court House & Post Office"), Omaha, Nebraska," Library of Congress; Photos, Prints, Drawings. Accessed July 15, 2016. https://www.loc.gov/item/95861109/
7. Annual Report of the Supervising Architect to the Secretary of the Treasury for the Year 1875. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1875, 6. Accessed July 15, 2016. https://books.google.com/books?id=pCArAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=supervising+architect+of+the+treasury+omaha&source=bl&ots=spCnI5S4VY&sig=jCDD8h5u9mXsvd7gCFg_lFpeGkw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwif-fOt6fXNAhVMOCYKHQduCd4Q6AEIJzAC#v=onepage&q=supervising%20architect%20of%20the%20treasury%20omaha&f=false
Entry in Macmillan, Encyclopedia of Architects (New York: Macmillan, 1982).
D. Murphy, “Alfred B. Mullett (ca. 1834-1890), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, April 16, 2015. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, August 11, 2022.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.